Chevy announced changes today for its 2021 Silverado HD including an increase in max towing, more trailering technology and four special edition packages.
For 2021, Chevrolet engineers increased Silverado HD’s max towing capacity 500 pounds which provides up to 36,000 pounds of towing on Silverado 3500 HD Work Truck, Regular Cab, dual-rear-wheel, two-wheel-drive models equipped with the 6.6-liter Duramax diesel and 10-speed Allison transmission and Max Tow Package. Hardware updates to the suspension and packaging changes to the wheels helped achieve the new tow rating, which is certified to SAE J2807 standards.
According to Chevy, the 36,000-lb. rating gives them bragging rights to best-in-class towing for Class 3 trucks. Ford has challenged that claim. Read more about that here.
Enhanced Trailering Tech
The Silverado HD offers up to a class-leading available 15 unique camera views and eight cameras to monitor towing conditions. For 2021, Chevy reports that it’s pulling even further ahead of competitors with enhanced trailering technology also available on the 2021 Silverado 1500, including:
- Trailer Length Indicator: When making a lane-change maneuver with the turn signal activated, a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer is shown on the center console screen, which can help show when other vehicles are present.
- Jack-Knife Alert: Tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle and provides an alert if a potential jack-knife situation is imminent.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement: Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which help to align and hook up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator: Enhanced to include assisting guidelines when backing a compatible trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator shows the relationship between the truck and trailer.
- Rear Side View enhancement: Provides a split view, automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle, of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer. This view was previously only available while driving forward and is now available in reverse for better visibility when positioning a trailer.
Special Editions for HD
Chevrolet trucks have a long tradition of offering a variety of special editions to meet customers’ interests and demands, and for 2021 the Silverado HD welcomes four unique versions to the HD lineup.
- Carhartt Special Edition: The Carhartt Special Edition is offered exclusively on the LTZ and features all-weather floor liners with the Carhartt badge, along with exclusive two-tone Jet Black and Carhartt Brown perforated front and rear leather seating surfaces featuring unique stitching and Carhartt embroidered headrests. Outside, the Carhartt Special Edition comes exclusively in Mosaic Black Metallic with Carhartt pinstripe detailing, Carhartt badging on the doors and tailgate, 20-inch wheels with all-terrain tires and a soft roll-up tonneau cover embossed with the Carhartt logo. Body-color grille bar and chrome inserts, along with body-color front and rear bumpers, further add to the distinctive exterior styling and the truck’s overall presence.
- Midnight Edition: Available on black LT and LTZ trims, Midnight Edition offers an intimidating blacked-out appearance from tip to tail, including the grille bar, grille inserts, skid plate, Silverado badging and standard black 18-inch aluminum wheels with aggressive mud-terrain tires, or available black 20-inch wheels.
- Z71 Sport Edition: Available on LT and LTZ trims, the Z71 Sport Edition offers an aggressive monochromatic look with color-matched bumpers, grille bar and black door handles. Exclusively available in Red Hot, Summit White or Northsky Blue exterior paint, it also features black accents, including Silverado badging, skid plate, mirror caps, hood vent and black 18-inch wheels with mud-terrain tires or black 20-inch wheels with all-terrain tires.
- Z71 Chrome Sport Edition: Available on LT and LTZ trims, Z71 Chrome Sport Edition features body-color bumper and grille bar with chrome accents to door handles, skid plate, grille insert, assist step and badging. Only available in Summit White and Black, Z71 Chrome Sport Edition comes with 20-inch machined aluminum wheels with Grazen metallic accents, or 20-inch polished aluminum wheels on LTZ.
Midnight Edition, Z71 Sport Edition and Z71 Chrome Sport Edition will all be available in late 2020. The Carhartt Special Edition starts production fall 2020.
More Available and Standard Equipment
- Bed View Camera display located in a rearview mirror screen insert now available on Work Truck, Custom and LT.
- Bed View Camera display located in the infotainment screen now standard on High Country and available on LTZ and LT.
- SiriusXM radio and OnStar now available on Work Truck and standard on LT.
- Safety Confidence Package available on Work Truck and Custom. Package includes Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Driver Information Center and Steering Wheel Audio Controls.
- Wireless Phone Projection on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard for LTZ and High Country, and available on LT.
- Front center console with storage now standard on Work Truck and Custom.
- Two new exterior colors available:
- Mosaic Black Metallic
- Cherry Red Tintcoat
The 2021 Silverado HD models began production in September and are arriving at Chevrolet dealerships throughout fall 2020.