Since the introduction of GM’s fleet telematics solution, OnStar Vehicle Insights, fleet managers have received nearly 3.5 million notifications and details of almost 16 million trips covering more than 246 million miles.
Recently, GM announced that OnStar Vehicle Insights can now be used with most non-GM vehicles via a plug-in adapter which allows fleet customers to utilize OnStar Vehicle Insights across their whole fleet, regardless of vehicle make or model year.
GM reports that this expansion aims to help fleet managers save on business operations, monitor fleet vehicles and keep drivers safe using only one telematics platform.
The OnStar Vehicle Insights Fleet Adapter1, created by GM’s Global Innovation team, plugs into the OBD-II port of non-GM vehicles, as well as GM vehicles built without OnStar hardware and model year 2014 or older GM vehicles.
Once the connection to the adapter is established to the vehicle and to the OnStar Vehicle Insights mobile app or website, fleet managers can begin receiving vehicle insights on the OnStar Vehicle Insights platform, designed to lower the cost of vehicle maintenance while keeping fleets up and running.
“Our goal is to help make fleet management as easy and efficient as possible for our current and future customers,” said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president, GM Fleet. "We know many customers have mixed fleets, and we believe there is significant benefit in streamlining the process and monitoring a whole fleet using our singular platform.”
With OnStar Vehicle Insights, fleet managers and drivers have access to a suite of features designed to improve overall efficiencies, productivity and safety, including:
- Vehicle Locator: Provides the location of fleet vehicles in real time, including geofence boundary alerts.
- Vehicle Health: Provides vehicle mileage, oil life and fuel efficiency, as well as preventative service prompts and maintenance notifications.
- Driver Behavior: Displays driver behaviors and trips, and sends alerts around specific events, like exceeding a specified speed limit.
- Performance Insights: A simplified performance dashboard aggregates data and presents trends that are helpful for business operation.
- Remote Commands: Allow drivers to lock, unlock and remote start a vehicle from the OnStar Vehicle Insights website or mobile app when keys are not readily available.
- Daily Trip Summaries: Allow drivers to maintain and reference trip history in an organized manner.
Also available through the OnStar Vehicle Insights platform is In-Vehicle Coaching, a new virtual coaching feature created to help fleet managers keep their drivers safe.
When activated, In-Vehicle Coaching provides real-time verbal cues to drivers, including seat belt, acceleration, speeding and braking alerts. Set by the fleet manager, the alerts are designed to encourage safer driving habits.
In a recent pilot, In-Vehicle Coaching helped drivers decrease hard braking by 26 percent, hard acceleration by 76 percent and speeding over 80 miles per hour by 93 percent.