GMC’s redesigned 2019 Sierra Denali and SLT is larger and lighter and features several key changes, including a carbon fiber bed, a multi-purpose tailgate, a new diesel option, an elevated interior and safety enhancements, such as a rear-camera mirror and a windshield display.
“GMC ignited the premium truck segment 17 years ago with the original launch of the Sierra Denali,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “The next generation 2019 Sierra Denali establishes a new benchmark in capability and refinement. It exemplifies precision in every detail.”
GMC reports that the 2019 Sierra Denali affirms its position as the most premium Sierra ever with segment-leading technologies and exclusive features, including:
- GMC Exclusive, Industry-first MultiPro Tailgate offers six unique functions and positions including a broad step leading up to the bed, load-stop solutions and a standing workstation.
- GMC Exclusive, Industry-first Carbon Fiber Pickup Box, the CarbonPro, was developed to increase durability, efficiency and functionality. GMC reports that the new bed offers best-in-class dent, scratch and corrosion resistance. (See video below.)
- All-new ProGrade Trailering System with Trailering Appoffers a connected suite of trailering technology that brings more confidence to the towing experience.
- Segment-first Multi-Color Head-Up Displayprojects key, customizable vehicle data on the windshield in a 3×7-inch display to help drivers keep their eyes on the road.
- Segment-first Rear Camera Mirror offers an optimized view via an available dual-function interior mirror that expands vision to overcome common visual obstructions like occupants or cargo. This next generation system features a higher resolution camera and display and the ability to tilt or zoom the view.
“The heritage of the GMC brand is rooted in full-size trucks, of which the Sierra is our cornerstone, with our SLT and Denali models contributing 87 percent of our total crew cab sales,” Aldred said. “The next generation Sierra caters to these unique customers who demand a premium, innovative truck that supports their professional and personal passions.”
An advanced bed highlighted by lighter, stronger carbon fiber
The next generation 2019 Sierra debuts a GMC exclusive, industry-first MultiPro Tailgate. Standard on SLT and Denali, the MultiPro Tailgate features six unique functions and positions. (See video below).
The MultiPro Tailgate incorporates a step entry and egress mode that, when paired with the assist handle, offers both step and seated functionality, with a maximum weight capacity of 375 pounds. The gate can be lowered remotely or by a button located at the gate.
GM reports that its multifunctional tailgate has undergone more testing and validation than any tailgate in the company’s history.
The cargo boxes also offer best-in-class cargo volume — 63 cubic feet on the short box, as well as additional tie-downs and a new, available 110-volt power outlet. The bed continues to be made of roll-formed, high-strength steel, yet a revised alloy offers 50 percent more strength than the current model.
The 2019 Sierra Denali will offer, later in the model year, an available GMC exclusive and industry-first carbon fiber box — the CarbonPro — developed to increase durability, efficiency and functionality of the truck. It replaces the standard steel inner panels and floor with a lightweight, purpose-designed carbon fiber composite that offers best-in-class dent, scratch and corrosion resistance.
“In 116 years of making GMC pickup trucks, our industry-first carbon fiber box is the toughest and most durable pickup box we have ever made,” Aldred said.
The new CarbonPro box is 62 pounds lighter than the steel version, and is one example of GMC’s strategic use of materials in engineering the Sierra. Aluminum is used for the doors, hood and tailgate, while relying on steel for the fenders, roof and standard cargo box to shave up to 360 pounds from Sierra compared today’s model.
Striving for bigger and better
The 2019 Sierra Denali debuts a new GMC design. A taller stance is complemented by hallmark details such as a chrome grille with a precise dimensional pattern intended to epitomize the truck’s attention to detail.
“The next generation Sierra Denali has a deliberate, commanding presence,” said Matt Noone, director of design, GMC exteriors. “Its unmistakable design embodies the essence of GMC, while advancing the brand’s core styling elements — rooted in inherent capability — with a new expression of its signature cues.”
Sierra has a larger, more-dominant upright grille, a taller hood, and a more pronounced take on GMC’s C-shaped lighting signature.
Advanced lighting technology help distinguish the Sierra Denali from other trucks. GMC’s front lighting signature is conveyed through a prominent “light blade” that delivers uniform LED illumination for the daytime running lamps. LEDs are also used for the headlamps, tail lamps, fog lamps and other illuminative elements.
The truck is larger than the previous truck in virtually every dimension. The wheels are pushed closer to the corners and wear larger diameter tires. Denali features available 22-inch Ultra Bright aluminum wheels; the SLT model offers its own unique 22-inch dark aluminum wheels finished with chrome accents.
New, more prominent badging includes a bold DENALI nameplate on the tailgate—expressed in a new block-style typeface—below the signature GMC identification.
A redesigned interior
GMC reports that the interior of its Sierra Denali tops the segment with best-in-class front head- and legroom.
The driver gets a higher seating position that is intended to offer a more confident view behind the wheel.
Denali-exclusive materials include premium leather-appointed seating, authentic open-pore wood trim and dark-finish aluminum decor. The exclusive leather appointments have a distinctive, large-pebbled grain with a contrasting stitch pattern. The wood trim features an open-pore texture evocative of hand-planed furniture.
When it comes to space and storage, the 2019 Sierra’s crew cab has nearly 3 inches of additional rear-seat legroom compared to the current model. The outboard rear seat backs open to reveal rectangular storage spaces large enough for storing tablets or laptops, tie-down cords, umbrellas or other accessories.
ProGrade Trailering System with Trailering App
The 2019 Sierra offers a more confident towing experience thanks to GMC’s new ProGrade Trailering System, standard on Denali and SLT. The trailering system includes an all-new Trailering App featuring a pre-departure checklist, maintenance reminders, trailer light test, trailer electrical diagnostics and trailer tire pressure and temperature monitoring.
Many of the Trailering App’s functions, including the lighting test and pre-departure checklist, are also available with the MyGMC app on compatible Android and iOS smartphones.
The next generation Sierra also offers hitch guidance with hitch view and auto electric park brake. The available side view cameras and a trailer-mounted HD camera provide additional assistance when driving down the road or in reverse. With exclusive trailer theft detection, owners can receive text and mobile alerts from OnStar when the trailer has been detached from the truck without permission.
New tech for improved safety and entertainment
- Segment-first Multi-color 3×7 Head-Up Display: The 2019 Sierra is the first full-size truck to offer this technology, which projects key vehicle information on the windshield within the driver’s line of sight.
- Advanced GMC infotainment: This new platform offers a smartphone-like experience with an intuitive interface, faster response and improved voice recognition. Sierra Denali’s standard 8-inch diagonal system includes navigation.
- Segment-first Rear Camera Mirror: This available dual-function interior mirror offers an optimized camera view that can help the driver’s view around potential vision obstructions such as occupants or cargo, while also offering a greater field of vision. This next gen system features a higher resolution camera, a higher resolution display and the ability to tilt or zoom the view. A conventional mirror view is also available.
- Surround Vision: Offering a bird’s-eye view of the truck, this available feature displays an overhead image on the infotainment screen, helping the driver detect potential obstacles when backing up, including when trailering.
- Full suite of advanced safety features: The 2019 Sierra Denali offers a full range of available advanced safety features, including Side Blind Zone Alert, Pedestrian Detection and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking.
New versions of the proven 6.2- and 5.3-liter V8 engines will be joined by an all-new 3.0-liter inline-six turbo-diesel engine, expanding the powertrain lineup for the 2019 Sierra.
The 5.3- and 6.2-liter engines feature stop/start technology and new Dynamic Fuel Management that enables the engine to operate on one to eight cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power and efficiency.
The new diesel builds on the Duramax turbo-diesels offered in Sierra HD and Canyon models. The available 6.2-liter and 3.0-liter engines are paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
Sierra Denali features an exclusive Adaptive Ride Control suspension system. It employs sophisticated sensors to monitor road conditions and chassis responses in real time, enabling adjustments to active dampers every two milliseconds.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali and SLT go on sale this fall. Additional details will be released closer to the start of production.