Recalls for defective and potentially deadly Takata airbag devices have been expanded to approximately 365,000 additional Ford vehicles, including 2009 and 2010 Ranger pickups.
Ford announced today that the latest recalls represent primarily a planned expansion of previously recalled vehicles to new geographic regions. This third planned expansion of vehicles is included in Takata airbag inflator recalls described in National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Takata Coordinated Remedy Order.
Affected vehicles include approximately 365,000 2009-10 and 2013 Ford Mustang, 2009-10 Ford Fusion, 2009-10 Ford Ranger, 2009-10 Ford Edge, 2009-10 Lincoln MKZ, 2009-10 Lincoln MKX and 2009-10 Mercury Milan vehicles built in North America.
Ford is not aware of any injuries associated with the passenger side frontal inflators included in this safety recall.
Last week Ford announced an immediate recall for approximately 3,000 2006 Ranger pickups following two fatalities linked to defective Takata air bag devices found in those trucks.
Affected vehicles include:
- 2009-10 Ford Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Feb. 27, 2008 to March 5, 2010
- 2013 Ford Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Oct. 26, 2011 to Jan. 24, 2013
- 2009-10 Ford Fusion vehicles built at Hermosillo Assembly Plant, Feb. 18, 2008 to July 25, 2010
- 2009-10 Ford Ranger vehicles built at Twin Cities Assembly Plant, May 27, 2008 to July 26, 2010
- 2009-10 Ford Edge vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant, June 16, 2008 to July 1, 2010
- 2009-10 Lincoln MKZ vehicles built at Hermosillo Assembly Plant, Feb. 19, 2008 to July 25, 2010
- 2009-10 Lincoln MKX vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant, June 16, 2008 to July 12, 2010
- 2009-10 Mercury Milan vehicles built at Hermosillo Assembly Plant, Feb. 19, 2008 to July 24, 2010
A total of approximately 364,523 vehicles have been added globally to this expansion, including 327,796 in the United States and federalized territories and 36,727 in Canada. The Ford reference number for this recall is 18S01.
Dealers will replace the passenger frontal airbag inflator or module at no cost to the customer.