CarInsurance.com comparison study shows the cheapest and priciest locations for vehicle insurance
There’s not a lot one can do about where they live and work, nor is there a lot one can do about the price paid for vehicle insurance.
But you might find solace knowing what you pay isn’t as bad as it could be.
According to an analysis of car insurance rates across the country by CarInsurance.Com, an independent quote-comparison website, Detroit has the highest car insurance rates in the country, followed by Brooklyn and Philadelphia.
They analyzed rates for a 2014 Honda Accord with full coverage in 33,410 ZIP codes in the U.S.
“While our rates are for the Honda Accord, they will generally reflect the most & least expensive locations for all vehicles including pickups,” says CarInsurance.Com’s managing editor, Michelle Megna. “So while the exact amount will be different based on vehicle, the most and least expensive locations will generally stay the same.”
Consumers can explore premiums across the country with CarInsurance.com’s average car insurance rates tool. Enter a ZIP code to see the average premium for the location, as well as the highest and lowest rates.
The Detroit-Warren-Livonia metro area, ZIP code 48277, earned the top spot with the highest average premium in the nation, a 130 percent increase over the Michigan average of $2,226. Other ZIP codes in Detroit are almost as high.
Brooklyn’s Flatbush neighborhood ranks second, jumping 151 percent from New York’s average car insurance rate of $1,542.
Top 10 most expensive locations for car insurance rates are:
- Detroit, Michigan in ZIP code 48227: $5,109 (130 % increase over state average of $2,226)
- Brooklyn, New York in ZIP code 11226: $3,877 (151% increase over state average of $1,542)
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in ZIP code 19132: $2,760 (128% increase over state average of $1,210)
- Providence, Rhode Island in ZIP code 02903: $2,749 (38% increase over state average of $2,000)
- New Orleans, Louisiana in ZIP code 70117: $2,542 (53% increase over state average of $1,657)
- Los Angeles, California in ZIP code 90029: $2,416 (69% increase over state average of $1,433)
- Woodbridge, Connecticut in ZIP code 06525: $2,291 (50% increase over state average of $1,527)
- Baltimore, Maryland in ZIP code 21216: $2,256 (79% increase over state average of $1,258)
- Miami, Florida in ZIP code 33142: $2,248 (60% increase over state average of $1,402)
- Royalton, Kentucky in ZIP code 41464: $2,104 (42% increase over state average of $1,484)
Many factors go into calculating car insurance rates, but a driver’s location is typically used to kick off the process.
ZIP codes are judged to have different risk levels based on the number and severity of car insurance claims within the area.
From there, car insurance companies create the base rate used as the starting point for drivers buying coverage, and then add other pricing factors such as the driver’s age, driving record and type of car.
Every car insurance company has its own base rate and does its own calculations, which is why it’s important to comparison shop to get the best car insurance rates.
Top 10 least expensive locations for car insurance rates are:
- Green Springs, Ohio in ZIP code 44836: $647 (16% lower than the state average of $771)
- Arden, North Carolina in ZIP code 28704: $671 (16% lower than the state average of $800)
- Saco, Maine in ZIP code 04072: $709 (7% less than the state average of $763)
- Christiansburg, VA in ZIP code 24073: $751 (16% less than the state average of $899)
- Boise, Idaho in ZIP code 83706: $75 (9% lower than the state average of $831)
- Lake Havasu City, Arizona in ZIP code 86403: $769 (25% lower than the state average of $1,021)
- West Lafayette, Indiana in ZIP code 47907: $770 (14% lower than the state average of $891)
- Allouez, Wisconsin in ZIP code 54302: $776 (15% lower than the state average of $908)
- Concord, New Hampshire in ZIP code 03303: $785 (9% lower than the state average of $864)
- Normal, Illinois in ZIP code 61761: $827 (17% lower than the state average of $1,001)
“Our analysis showed a national average rate of $1,231 for a Honda Accord,” says Megna, “Several locations, including Palo Alto, California, and Denver, fall at the average.”