Polaris Introduces Military-Grade Consumer ATV
New Sportsman WV850 H.O. All-Terrain Vehicle Features Terrain Armor Non-Pneumatic Tires
ATVs have been a work tool for all types of businesses from landscaping to heavy construction and everything in between.
Now these versatile four-hweelers have taken on a whole new level of durability and efficiency.
Polaris Industries today announced the company is launching a new military-grade all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in December featuring Terrain Armor™ Non-Pneumatic Tires (NPT) that never go flat.
The new Sportsman® WV850 H.O. with Terrain Armor will be available to consumers in very limited quantities.
“We have seen great success with NPTs in military and disaster relief scenarios,” said David Longren, vice president of Polaris’ Off-Road Divisionnd, “and we are excited to bring this technology to the consumer market for extreme work applications.”
Polaris has tested NPTs under several extreme situations, including logging more than 350 miles/563 kilometers after receiving fire from a 50-cal round, and driving 1,000 miles/1609 kilometers with a 3 in/7.6 cm railroad spike in the tread and webbing.
Beyond having no flats, consumers will appreciate the other benefits TerrainArmor tires offer including a better center-of-gravity, improved cornering due to less pushing and the capability for the tires to be designed for a diverse range of applications.
Some additional features of the Sportsman WV850 H.O. (MSRP $14,999):
- A military-grade fully automatic single-speed transmission
- An upgraded shock package for handling heavy loads
- An increased cooling capacity for long days and high temperatures
- Steel racks capable of carrying 600 lbs/272 kgs of cargo
- A 2 in/5.1 cm receiver hitch that can tow 1,500lbs/680kgs
- A standard 3,500 lb winch for confidence in extreme settings
- An 11.75 gal/44.48 liter fuel capacity to work longer between fills
- Wider foot wells to accommodate larger work footwear
- Standard Electronic Power Steering (EPS) to reduce fatigue and terrain feedback
The Sportsman WV850 H.O. with Terrain Armor shares the same Avalanche Gray color as its hard-working utility counterpart the Polaris BRUTUS.
[youtube 6NnFIqHeV54#t=55 nolink]