Fuel Transport and Transfer Pumps

Fuel Transport; What You Need To Know


pp_combo boxes and tanks_transferflowBy Steve Campbell

Fuel Transport

Diesel is not as volatile as gasoline, and its transport is not governed by Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. However, state regulations vary, so it’s best to consult your state’s department of motor vehicles for the rules that dictate usage in your area just to be on the safe side of the law.

For gasoline applications, the laws are much stricter. Tanks for the transportation of gasoline are governed by stringent guidelines and require a special DOT permit.

Transfer Pumps

Auxiliary tanks may use the truck’s fuel pump or require a 12-volt electric pump, and transfer tanks require either an electric or a hand pump and are not usually included with the tank itself.

Every tank manufacturer or retailer will be able to recommend a pump that provides sufficient flow and includes a hose of sufficient length to suit the application. Some are also available with flow gauges with which to keep track of the tank’s fill level and how much fuel is dispensed.

Automatic shut-off nozzles are a convenient feature and should definitely be considered, because they prevent overfilling and allow the user to attend to other chores while transferring fuel.

The two best-known auxiliary fuel and transfer pump manufacturers are Great Plains Industries [www.gpi.net; (800) 835-0113] and Fill-Rite, a subsidiary of Tuthill [www.tuthill.com/us/en/brands/fill-rite.cfm; (800) 634-2695].

Both companies supply electric and hand pumps designed specifically for use with transfer and auxiliary tanks.

Consult with your tank manufacturer or retailer for equipment recommendations that are compatible with the tank you purchase.

Get more information on combo fuel tanks from the Combo Fuel Tank Buyers Guide. – SC