A 280-ton truck that was side-lined for nearly two weeks in Rhode Island for not having an overweight permit was granted permission to complete its trip to Massachusetts, albeit at a hefty price.
As part of an agreement with the Rhode Island Department of Transportation, which contends that some of the state’s bridges would likely have collapsed under the 560,000-pound load, Bay Crane Northeast will reimburse the state $60,000 for its trouble in dealing with the truck, issue a $25 million insurance policy with the state as a co-insured party and cover the cost of a police escort, according to turnto10.com.
The truck had been scheduled to leave a Rhode Island Park and Ride along Route 117 on Friday night, but the trip was called off by Bay Crane which had complained of an “unreasonable” permit arrangement.
Eventually, an agreement was reached and Bay Crane hit the road Monday night for a 10-hour trip to Massachusetts to deliver a massive Brush turbogenerator. Video below shows the truck slowly moving down the road.
“Public safety has always been our priority in this matter,” RIDOT Director Peter Alviti said. “It was our job to make sure that the people of Rhode Island were kept safe and that our roads and bridges were not damaged. We have achieved this. This accord also protects the financial interests of the taxpayers of the State with Bay Crane’s agreement to reimburse the State for expenses brought about by the unique nature of this situation.”
RIDOT said last week that it would be inspecting the four bridges that the truck had crossed before being pulled over. After no damage was found, the state determined a safe route to Massachusetts and worked out the permit arrangement with Bay Crane Northeast, according to providencejournal.com.