Chevrolet, Freightliner, Nissan, Volvo and Western Star were among the manufacturers heralded for their trucks’ low emissions technology this week at the Society of Environmental Journalists (SEJ) 26th Annual Conference in Sacramento, Calif.
Several hundred SEJ reporters and policy makers got a close-up look at trucks, equipment and displays geared towards offering a glimpse into the future of near-zero emissions.
“The title of this year’s SEJ conference in California is ‘Land of Extremes: Home of Big Ideas’ and our exhibit is a prime example of California’s influence on environmental improvements in transportation and off-road equipment,” said Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Diesel Technology Forum.
“Together with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, national environmental and health organizations, and the diesel manufacturers, important environmental improvements in diesel equipment and fuels have emerged over the past 15 years.”
Schaeffer was quick to point out the accomplishments of clean diesel technology.
“Our new clean diesel heavy-duty trucks have reduced NOx and particulate matter emissions by more than 95 percent,” he said. “We have reduced the sulfur content in diesel fuel by 97 percent. The new Tier 4 agricultural and construction equipment have reduced emissions by over 90 percent. Biodiesel and renewable diesel are the bright future of cleaner fuels and immediately provide significant emission reductions in all diesel equipment.”
Technology on display included:
- Caterpillar 323F Hydraulic Excavator
- Caterpillar 262D Skid Steer Loader with the RemoteTask
- Volvo ® VNL 780 with Cummins X15 Performance Series Engine
- Cummins Tier 4 Certified QSK95 Locomotive Engine
- 2016 Nissan TITAN XD powered by the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel
- 2017 Freightliner Cascadia 72” Raised Roof Sleeper w/ Detroit Engine DD15 505HP
- 2016 Freightliner Utility Truck with a 6.7 Cummins Diesel Engine Using Neste Renewable Diesel
- John Deere 5M Series Utility Tractor
- John Deere 544K Wheel Loader
- Western Power Products 6090 Power Unit
- 2016 Chevrolet Colorado LT 2.8L Diesel
- Umicore Light-Duty Diesel Exhaust Emission System
- Volvo Group Integrated Technology Truck
- Yanmar YT359 Ag Tractor