New Chevrolet, GMC Crew Cabs Get Highest Safety Score
The 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 , Chevy High Country and the GMC Sierra and Sierra Denali 1500 are the first pickups to receive the highest possible five-star Overall Vehicle Score for safety since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) changed its New Car Assessment Program in 2011.
NHTSA only tested the crew cab models of Silverado and Sierra. Chevrolet and GMC expect crew cab models to account for 60 percent of their 2014 light duty full-size pickup truck sales.
“Safety is as important to truck buyers as it is to car buyers,” said Gay Kent, GM general director of Vehicle Safety and Crashworthiness. “Silverado and Sierra set a benchmark for pickup truck safety by offering a full array of advanced features designed to protect occupants before, during and after a collision.”
Silverado and Sierra offer fully boxed frames, extensive use of high-strength steel, and several segment-exclusive safety features are available, including Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning, and Safety Alert Seat.
- Safety Alert Seat warns the driver of potential traffic danger using directional vibration pulses from the seat cushion.
- Forward collision alert technology helps prevent frontal crashes by alerting the driver when the truck is closing in on a vehicle ahead too quickly.
- Lane Departure Warning technology alerts the driver when the truck drifts over a lane line when traveling 35 mph or faster.
- Rear Vision Camera with Dynamic Guidelines allows the driver, when in reverse, to view objects directly behind the vehicle via the radio screen in the center stack, for easier parking and backing maneuvers.
- New, standard lap belt pretensions in the front-seat outboard safety belts.
- Six standard air bags and 360-degree sensor system, including dual-stage frontal air bags, head-curtain side-impact air bags with rollover protection, and seat-mounted side-impact air bags.
- Trailer-sway control that works with StabiliTrak to provide the driver with additional assistance when towing a trailer.
- Four-wheel, four-channel, anti-lock disc brakes (ABS) that help provide straight, more controlled stops by preventing wheel lock-up.
- OnStar is available, using GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar service also includes MyLink mobile apps.