2013 Ram 1500s Roll Out
Big changes set the 2013 Ram 1500 1/2-ton pickups apart from the rivals; 8-speed automatic and air suspension lead the way
Move over GM. Look out Ford. Ram is on the move and the 2013 1500 is on a path to best you both.
At least that’s the word from the Chrysler camp and the Ram Brand truck folks when they introduced the new pickups to the media earlier this month in Nashville.
here’s what Ram says about the 2013 Ram 1500s, due to be arriving at dealers by late September:
- Best-in-class fuel economy:
- • New 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine (Ward’s 10 Best Engines) features 42 percent more horsepower, 13 percent more torque and at least 20 percent better fuel economy when compared to the previous 3.7-liter V-6 powertrain
- • 5.7-liter HEMI®V-8 with Fuel Saver Technology and variable-valve timing (VVT) provides 395 horsepower, 407 lb.-ft. of torque and best-in-class fuel economy for V-8 trucks, beating competitive turbo V-6 engines
New 8-speed automatic gives close ratio shifts for more low-end power and better fuel economy in both the new 3.6L V6 and 5.7L Hemi.
- Class-exclusive eight-speed automatic transmission (TorqueFlite 8) standard equipment with 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine, doubles the amount of gears compared to previously available four-speed automatic transmission to greatly improve fuel economy and contribute to best-in-class standard V-6 towing
- New eight-speed also available with the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8– the Company’s first application with a V-8 (TorqueFlite 8 late availability)
- New TorqueFlite 8 operated by an innovative dash-mounted, rotary e-shift design
- First-in-segment Fuel Saver Technology: eight-speed automatic transmission, stop-start, thermal management system, pulse-width modulation and active aerodynamics, including grille shutters and air suspension
- Class-exclusive air suspension enhances fuel economy, improves ride control and off-road capability along with improved entry/exit and loading, and features automatic load leveling
- New exterior design cues including all-new grille/fascia, improved quad projection headlamps and LED front turn signals and tail lamps
Optional air suspension smoothes out the ride on road and levels the 2013 Ram 1500 pickups when loaded or towing, improving handling.
- Best-in-class aerodynamics, coefficient of drag (Cd) at 0.360
- New, upgraded interior features include: standard and premium multiview display, passive entry, Keyless Enter ’n Go, steering wheel and controls, wood accents, updated door panels, instrument panel, interior colors and premium materials
- All-new, next-generation Uconnect Access debuts on the 2013 Ram 1500 with Wi-Fi hotspot capability
- Uconnect Access combines a new lineup of smart media centers with a powerful new wireless platform
- With Uconnect Access, Ram 1500 owners will have alternative ways to access new connected services and applications via the vehicle’s 8.4-inch touchscreen display or the web
- Next generation Uconnect system is designed to be forward-thinking, providing the freedom to upgrade to the latest features and services
- Voice-recognition technology, steering wheel controls, touchscreen displays and traditional controls provide Ram 1500 customers with a variety of ways to interact with their mobile phones, music, navigation system and applications
Revamped 2013 Ram 1500s should excel in towing performance with the 8-speed automatic option that will be available on the Hemi in Spring 2013.
- Ram 1500 now available with a premium, customizable, full-color 7-inch multiview display
- Addition of Powernet vehicle architecture system allows new content with improved data speeds
- Chrysler Group offers Ram 1500 customers expanded SiriusXM Radio channel lineup, with exclusive programming including new SiriusXM Latino channels, an automotive industry first
- Sprint selected as the strategic partner to bring wireless connectivity and service delivery to the vehicle
- New remote central locking RamBox cargo management system and tailgate combined with door locks
- New rain sensing wipers, SmartBeam headlamps, power folding mirrors and power sliding rear window with defrost
- Best-in-class powertrain warranty – 5 years/100,000 miles
- Prices for the 2013 Ram 1500 start at $23,585, including $995 destination charge, which is slightly more than 1 percent higher than 2012 prices
- Optional Ram Active Level air suspension priced at $1,595
- Optional $1,000 3.6L Pentastar V6 with 8-speed TorqueFlite 8 transmission, which combine to deliver 25 mpg, are available over the 4.7L V8 6-speed offered on Tradesman models